Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tis the Season!

To go ahead and answer the question, yes, Aussies do celebrate Christmas, but no, they do not celebrate Thanksgiving. I however did! The third Thursday of November I rushed home from work to slave over a hot stove.... No, not really, but between the five of us, we had a nice little feast! Although not entirely traditional, and not nearly as tasty as what I would have eaten at home, it was sufficient and lots of fun!  It was a beautiful fusion of Australian Asian, American and southern cuisine. 
Now in terms of Christmas, indeed it is celebrated! In fact, Christmas carols overwhelm the malls, pictures are taken with Santa, and although it is summer, Aussies celebrate in similar spirit rather in boardshorts and bikins instead of sweaters and scarves. The challenge this holiday season for me is being far from family and friends. I however am looking forward to sunshine, seafood, and a day at the beach. Tis' the life I lead in Lennox Head! Happy Crissy! lots and lots of love and holiday cheer ...

1 comment:

Your Mother! said...

Oh Margaret! The tree is perfect.......just like you!
I saw Santa the other day and told him you were not coming home for Christmas. He looked very puzzeled, and said that that should not happen again. He added that he had heard from a little dog, he said his name was Opie, and that you had been good this year, so he would still come visit, even way over there.
I love you Margaret and miss you!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Your Mother